The habits and practices required to achieve a sense of flow in collaboration are learnt through a peer-group process, typically with peers who are diverse in terms of geography, expertise and experience. Through smart use of these processes in large and small-groups, we can achieve an alignment in these habits and practices, assisted by shared experiences and a common language.
Summary of RISE 7 Habits and Practices
Shared Self Awareness
Understanding and utilising your strengths and shadow-side and productively using it for your own and your team’s advantage.
- Awareness of personal strengths and shadow-side.
- Can step back and understand how personal thoughts, feelings and behaviours influence team dynamics.
- Explore and experimenting with new and more effective approaches.
- Open to feedback and reflective learning to improve personal and social effectiveness.
- Deeper and faster insight to the strengths and shadow-side of the people with whom you collaborate.
Vulnerability Based Sharing
Fostering a culture where it is safe and encouraged to take risks, be vulnerable and admit mistakes and through this process fostering a climate of trust and learning.
- Being fully present for key conversations with a capacity to listen deeply.
- Practising open and vulnerable sharing to create trusting relationships.
- Able to suspend judgement and criticism to enable people to become authentic and real when dealing with external challenges and complexities.
Balance Being and Doing
To balance being and doing is to be able to reflect regularly on your inner conditions and the state of your wellbeing and that of your team and initiate appropriate actions.
- Able to accurately assess the quality of your reflection and attention on your behaviours and disciplines that restore balance in your life.
- Capable of managing the shift required from ‘Doing’ to ‘Being’ in a conscious and deliberate way according to situational demands.
- Reading the internal and external signs of imbalance accurately and knowing how to respond to it.
- Ensuring appropriate opportunities for your team to restore energy and trust in critical relationships.
- To create the being conditions for creativity and innovation to flourish amongst stakeholders.
Competencies in principles and methodologies to improve deeper dynamics of team functionality and achieving business results.
- Able to actively contribute to the development of deeper levels of trust with team members.
- Being effective in using behaviours such as listening, inquiring and direct conversations to influence healthy and constructive team behaviours.
- Instilling intelligent conversations to establish a team culture of empowerment, psychological commitment, and accountability.
- Ability to open up fresh perspectives to counter complexity and uncertainty and then build clarity.
Behaviours and actions that build capacity and knowledge around empowering and equipping others.
- Supporting individuals to develop deeper insights and competencies in their roles
- To foster a team context where people are encouraged to learn and acquire new sets of skills.
- Inviting others to contribute their knowledge and skills and by doing so taking the team to higher levels of problem solving.
Understanding and utilising the principles and skills that ensures healthy relationships with all stakeholders.
- Able to step back from own views and objectives to consider needs and perspectives of stakeholders.
- Can manage difficult and energy sapping relationships in a confident and solution-focused manner.
- Can make tough decisions if a relationship cannot be re-aligned.
- Being aware of power dynamics in conflict and managing it in such a way that win-win possibilities can evolve.
Accessing Collective Intelligence
Facilitating collective intelligence through dialoguing and inquiry skills. Consciously managing the divergent and convergent phases of the problem cycle.
- Abilities that demonstrate skills of inquiry, deep listening and opening up of new perspectives.
- Creating deeper understanding of own challenges through intentional, structured inquiry processes.
- Explore and discover new possibilities by challenging subconscious assumptions that lead to old, habitual and unwanted results.
- Utilising the collective wisdom available by improving the quality of conversations.
- The ability to both seek multiple perspectives and take multiple perspectives.
- Able to hold different ideas and opinions whilst at the same time making meaningful connections and discovering new possibilities.
There is plenty of knowledge on what makes for great collaboration, but there seems to be less information out there about how to bring collaboration about. RISE creates an environment that allows good habits and practices to grow and be used to their full potential leading to the ability to collaborate successfully. Download the RISE App today and get access to other key features such as meetings tools, problem solving practices and checklists for managing effective meetings.